- You can buy futuristic bathtubs or retro bath tubs, but they can cost a lot of money. If you want something functional however, you might want to opt for simple bathtubs that are durable.
- Basic shower heads can cost a few hundred dollars, but if you want one that have the latest features, you might have to spend as much as $5000 or more for shower systems.
- If you are more focused on decreasing water consumption, you might want to install low-flow shower heads.
When looking for a stylish bath tub, you can opt to go for the retro look with the Clawfoot freestanding tub that is made from cast iron for $1000. You can also go for more futuristic products that can immerse your body with music through the sound waves produced by underwater speakers, this corner tub however, will cost you thousands of dollars.
If you are not into expensive tubs on the other hand, you can still opt for something stylish without the cost. You can by a drop-in tub that you can put in the middle of the room for $600. A no frills, all-purpose alcove tub can cost around $500, this option is perfect if you are looking for a tub that you can use every day.
If you want simple faucets for your simple bath tub, you might need to spend around $50, while expensive ones will cost you up to $500 or more. Replacing an old bathtub with a new one can cost around $3,500, this is why it is very important that you choose one that is durable right from the very start.
With all the different types of tubs available, there will surely be something that you can use to fit your style or budget. But you have to keep in mind however, that not all homeowners can benefit from getting a bathtub, as a matter of fact, some families with very young children have opted to get rid of the tub in exchange for a walk-in shower. This is why you need to consider the advantages and disadvantages of getting a tub first before you buy one.
When it comes to walk-in showers, you can opt to buy ones that have a frameless glass enclosure, tiled walls, or ones that do not have a door. You can even buy showers that can be tilted the right way so that you will be able to shower at the correct angle. You can purchase wall-mounted shower heads, overhead showers, or handheld ones. You can even use spritz-targeted shower heads or ones that spray you with mist. Basic products cost around $50, while shower systems can cost thousands.
Basic shower head installation can cost a few hundred dollars. The cost can reach $1000 if you need to install it with a curtain on an alcove tub, or $5000 to $10000 for a tiled walk-in shower with a glass enclosure. Those who are conscious about their water consumption can opt for low flow shower heads. These products consume less than 2.5 gallons of water per minute by government standards as they only have a water pressure of 80 pounds per square inch. You can buy aerating or laminar-flow low-flow shower heads. Aerating shower heads create a mist, while laminar-flow shower heads are meant to provide a steady stream.
You can do the following if you want to replace your old shower head on your own:
- Turn-off the water supply towards the bathroom or simply close the shower handle. Wrap a cloth around the shower head, and use a wrench to twist it towards the left. This can help you release the shower head without scratching it.
- Remove the old plumber’s tape, and any gunk in the threads before wrapping it with new tape. Wrap it with the tape by overlapping itself by 50% with each rotation. Make sure that you wrap it clockwise so that it will not offer resistance as you screw the new shower head.
- Attach and tighten the new head by hand.
- Turn-on the water supply or the shower handle and check for leaks. You can tighten the shower head with a wrench but be sure to wrap it with a cloth first.
You can also install aerators on faucets, if you want to make sure that you can save water elsewhere in the house.